Friday, October 17, 2008

Artist Profile: Nora Lemmon, DURBAN




This is one of those moments when I'm not quite sure where to start and what to say .......so the beginning will just have to do!! Again, Nora is another artist featured on the Wippawool site, and again - another most enthusiastic response to exhibiting on the Emergence Exhibition.....I don't use the word enthusiastic lightly here....as you will discover as you peruse this and another post which will be dedicated to the photography she will be
exhibiting...Nora's resume is an interesting read - her interests and talents are diverse...the proof of the pudding they say...is in the eating....no doubt that the works shown here, confirm the theory!!

I have tried many different art forms over the years including pottery, stained-glass, photography and many others. Since retiring from a career as a school librarian about 8 years ago I have been privileged to enjoy experimenting with acrylics and various materials and textures and am always game to try something new or different. My experimenting techniques have lead to some interesting effects but have included the odd disaster that has literally gone up in flames. I have a great love for all of Gods creation but particularly for Africa, its people and wildlife and have tried to interpret this in my personal expression of artwork.

I enjoy photography as a hobby and have posted a number of my photographs on this webpage. As an artist I know how difficult it was when I first started out to find subject matter that is not copyrighted. I have been privileged to have access to a private game reserve on a number of occasions and have an extensive library of wildlife photos.

My selection of Nora's work and the responses she had re the Emergence theme, ran something like this :

This Thirsty Land I & II(top paintings) - speaks to me of where our land is at the moment, so yes
Our People continue to rise above the challenging realities of the lands' harsh conditions


Am absolutely in love with the Fish Eagle, speaks to me!!

The Fish Eagle - the hope of a successful catch. After applying the textured medium forming the rings of sunlight, a suggestion of the wing of the Eagle appeared and this then formed the basis of the whole idea of the painting



Sudwala - also something inherently 'emergent' there....without wanting to sound too lofty

Sudwala Caves - A source of great inspiration. A peep into the intricate details and lines of a footprint of the history of geography- a feeling of expansion and movement of the earth beneath our feet










Transkei Mist - yes, mist is evocative of an emergence....
Early morning mist rising through the valleys


Kentani...a road travelled – yes

One splash of colour on an otherwise dull and dusty road




No comments: