Friday, October 17, 2008

Artist Profile: Ilma Matthews, DURBAN NORTH








Ilma has always been a keen supporter of the SmArt Exhibitions.........a hidden talent lurking beneath that hectic Mom exterior.......was completely unbeknown to me!!!




For a change, it was not me doing the approaching; but rather a rather nervous Ilma asking me to have a look at her work - She was completely overwhelmed at my acceptance for
the Emergence Exhibition......as was I at the standard of her work considering the short time that she's been at it...or so I thought....until I asked for a little background detail -and that's when it all made sense....




I have always had an interest in art, starting from my highschool days. While pregnant with my first child, I enjoyed a few art lessons in the evenings, knowing that my evening solitude would be non existent after babies! Now, after 8 years and two beautiful children; time for 'ME', is slowly becoming more possible. Painting is my way of switching off from the world and focusing on ONE thing for a few hours and not 10 all at the same time, (which seems to be the requirement for a mom). I encourage my children to use this medium too, as a way of expressing themselves, as it is very rewarding to create something from nothing.

Therein, I think lies the attraction to Ilma's style....It's expressive!! ...her emergent comments reflect that too..

There are 4 oils being exhibited - Lake Naverone -(top painting) 760mm x 505mm - An emergent quiet space, where one takes the time....

Paternoster se Winkel - (middle) 377mmx 760mm - a place of quiet retreat... and
2 small paintings (205mm x 205mm) - Red Hot and Sweet Peppers - For the Love of food and emerging flavours.....



No comments: