Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Artist Highlight - Mabel Armitage, La Lucia -KZN


Mabel has to be one of the busiest people I've ever met - that was some two years ago and in that time, Mabel has never ceased to amaze me with the productivity and diversity of her paintings!! Every painting is tackled with a tenacity and verve to best represent the subject .




I took time this week to photograph Mabel's new work and asked her to write a little something about herself that would give us an insight into what actually drives her :

Insightful it is - and I quote

"I've always done some sort of craft. Things like pottery, woodcarving,pewter,batik,flower arranging, cake icing and sewing (wedding dresses/soft furnishings).
About 5 years ago, my daughter persuaded me to join an art group.......it opened up a new world to me!
I have such a passion for painting and want to try all types of painting. I am attracted to doing paintings of people, especially those with character.
The old masters and impressionists have made an impact on my painting.
I just eat and sleep art and wish I had more tim
e to paint!!"


That's it in a nutshell....Mabel just wants to paint!!

No comments: