Tuesday, May 12, 2009

ARTIST:Cheryl Cawdron, Durban North

Cheryl is as her style depicts - original!!! Versatile subject, distinctive style that you will beyond doubt, notice immediately!!
The oil shown above " In the Garden " (945mm x 790mm - framed) and the following 2 pieces, both with the title "In the Forest" - a framed conte work immediately below (448mm x 567mm) and the oil pastel (also framed, 455mm x 545mm) just below that, all seem to create a space that seems almost mystical....a drawing into, a finding of the key and an unlocking of the door to The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)


Cheryl has such an interesting resume - "My love affair with art started at an early age at school in Sandton, Johannesburg (as it was then called) where I was to take art as a school subject. I later did an art degree and post graduate HDE (Education) to become an art teacher through the University of Natal. Unfortunately in South Africa then, married women could not be employed on a full time basis. Disillusioned I joined the domestic retail market in Kwa Zulu Natal and never looked back. My career saw me open the Edgars West Street store, manage various Jet stores and become Regional and then Divisional Manager with Morkels. Finally the Bank employed me where I currently do projects on a National basis.
I digress, during this time I have exhibited extensively and in return have opened a small art school in my home suburb of Durban North. I currently have between 6 and 8 students all very active and rearing to go. We are about to launch into 'oil painting' with great enthusiasm.'

"Kudu" Oil Painting above - 720 x 660mm - framed
'Back to my work! I have always been fascinated by conceptual work and in particular the work of a Dutch painter called Piet Mondrian (1872-1944: De Stijl Movement). His works have large expansive colour with conceptual paint marks and colour definitions. Some may call them trite, I, however, believe that if one were to take any of these 'mark' away - the painting would simply not "work". For the time period, Mondrian was 'avante garde'. His works seemed to conjure the work of aerial photography. On researching this, I went with it and produced a triptych called "The Big Pink". This was exhibited in Cape Town at the then Cape Triennial exhibition.
My work continues to explore the painterly mark with a purpose of placing the mark confidently on the canvas. This requires much thought and careful consideration. I am overawed by texture, especially that presented by the great South African climate, both in my beautiful garden and the game reserve wilderness. This fascination with texture has kept me enthralled for some eight years now and I often wonder when I shall tire of it and move on...'

.........Press on Cheryl, press on!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Cheryl. I REALLY like "In the Garden". Jeannette